Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I celebrated another year of life this past Friday! And on that day, I discovered a pot of gold at the end of a 3.5 hour drive: Rare Essence Studio.

After my disappointing consult, I remained determined and continued searching for loctitians. In my search, I came across the website PhxSoul. It's a blog that promotes African American businesses in the Phoenix area. How perfect! Rare Essence Studio had an ad on the site and one click later, the rest is history!

With such a long drive, I wasn't sure if I wanted to make the trip for what might be another disappointing 10 minutes and on my birthday no less. But after my initial telephone conversation and one email response, I had a consult booked.

From that first conversation to the end of the consult, I received professional and courteous service. The receptionist, Joy, knew me by name when I walked through the door. Vela, the stylist with whom I had the appointment, asked all the right questions: what type of locs did I want, do I exercise regularly, what size locs do I want, how did I want to start my locs. There were more but I can't remember them. The first stylist didn't ask me any of these questions so Rare Essence was already a step ahead.

Then Vela proceeded to do something novel - she demonstrated the different techniques for starting locs on MY HAIR. I know, crazy, right? That was so helpful! Well, actually, it wasn't helpful because know I don't know which method to choose. Sigh.

From my answers to her questions, she recommended three options: two strand twists  (definitely no), comb coils (definite maybe) or interlocking (also a maybe and I didn't even know that was possible!). I had my trusty Flip with me so I have video of the techniques but I still can't decide.

I like the look of comb coils and that's how I want to start; however, I do exercise regularly. Interlocking will allow me the flexibility to rinse/wash my hair frequently without worrying about the starter locs unraveling. On that note, it's only a myth that you don't wash locs. Locs thrive when wet! In the beginning, just be prepared for longer re-twisting sessions as your starters may come undone.

I digress.

So now I'm researching the interlocking starter method. I have a few questions that I've emailed to Rare Essence Studio. Once I get answers, I'll share the conversation with you.

How did you start your locs? How did you make that decision? Please share!

Loc love,

- kareen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 loczurious.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.